Print This
Email This
Download This

Corvallis Arts Center

The Corvallis Arts Center had its beginnings in the late 1950s, when a friend handed Marion Gathercoal A Survey of Arts Councils. Gathercoal was president of the Corvallis Women's Club, and she would lead the effort to create an arts council for her city. On September 12, 1961, the Corvallis Arts Council became a reality—the first arts council in Oregon and the twenty-first in the United States. Over thirty organizations were charter members.

Searching for a building to house the new organization, organizers found the vacant Corvallis Episcopal church, built in 1889. Designed in the Carpenter Gothic style, the building has a scissor truss system in which cross beams and arches are the reverse of a railroad bridge. It was originally constructed by Corvallis to Yaquina Bay railroad workers.

The official ribbon-cutting ceremony for the center was held on January 26, 1963. In 1972, the building was moved to 7th and Madison streets, adjacent to Central Park, and placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The City of Corvallis owns the building and does long-term maintenance.

The Arts Center, a nonprofit organization, operates programs for Benton County and surrounding areas. With its focus on “arts at the center of life,” the center sponsors exhibits in the Main Gallery and the Corrine Woodman Gallery, and hosts arts collaborations, readings, performances, and educational and enrichment activities. Programs include ArtsCare, which has innovative programs for cancer and dialysis patients; Globetrotters Arts and Culture Camps for youth arts education; and ArtShop, which helps market local and regional artists.

Written by:Courtland L. Smith
Other Works by this Author:
Seine Fishing | Corvallis Arts Center |


Further Reading:

Marion Gathercoal. The Unfolding of an Idea: A Brief History of The Corvallis Arts Center. Corvallis: The Corvallis Arts Center and Linn-Benton Council for the Arts, 2002.

Oregon Encyclopedia - Oregon History and Culture

Copyright © 2008-2014 Portland State University