Deschutes Land Trust

The Deschutes Land Trust works cooperatively with landowners to conserve land for wildlife, scenic views, and local communities. Since 1995, the Land Trust has conserved more than 9,115 acres of land in the Deschutes River basin—in Deschutes, Crook, Jefferson, and Klamath Counties—working with landowners who volunteer to conserve their land.

The Deschutes Land Trust works with landowners to craft an agreement that allows them to keep their land and protect the natural resources in perpetuity. Land considered for protection—including those important for wildlife habitat, sustainability of productive land (such as agriculture and timber), and open space valued for its scenery—must meet federal and state conservation criteria, including forest, stream, and wetland restoration; species and habitat protection; and weed management.

The Deschutes Land Trust owns nine nature preserves that are managed for the benefit of wildlife and people. Camp Polk Meadow Preserve is a signature project northeast of Sisters, where the Land Trust purchased 151 acres in 2000. The Preserve includes meadows, aspen and pine stands, and two miles of Whychus Creek, which has been restored. Other Land Trust preserves include Aspen Hollow (58 acres), Indian Ford Meadow (63 acres), Metolius (1,240 acres), Metolius River (30 acres), Ochoco (85 acres), Thomas (7 acres), Whychus Canyon (930 acres), and Willow Springs (130 acres). These preserves are open to the public either through guided tours or general public access.

Hundreds of volunteers provide conservation and education services for the Deschutes Land Trust. They help guide tours, restore native plant communities, maintain trails and interpretive facilities, and conduct ecological surveys. In the winter the Deschutes Land Trust hosts free Nature Nights that explore environmental topics.

Recent projects include the establishment of the Ochoco Preserve in Prineville, the Trust’s first Community Preserve. The Deschutes Land Trust continues to work on a landmark effort to conserve the 33,000-acre Skyline Forest between Bend and Sisters. If successful, it will be the Northwest’s largest community forest with multiple stakeholders who will work for sustainable forest production, wildlife and scenic preservation, and access to recreation opportunities.

DLT, hikers
Hikers at the Deschutes Land Trust’s Metolius Preserve.
Photo by Bob Woodward, courtesy Deschutes Land Trust

Author


Map It


Further Reading

Deschutes Land Trust. 
http://www.deschuteslandtrust.org


Related Articles

Camp Polk and Camp Polk Meadow Preserve

Camp Polk, a 151-acre meadow along Whychus Creek four miles downstream from Sisters, has been the site of centuries of human activity. The meadow is also notable for its biological diversity.

Chinookan, Sahaptin, Northern Paiute, and Molala peoples used the meadow as part of their seasonal harvest rounds. Deer and …

Crooked River, 1920.
Crooked River

The Crooked River Basin lies in the heart of central Oregon, east of the Cascade Mountains and Deschutes River and south of the John Day River. The appropriately named Crooked River, fed primarily by mountain creeks and springs, twists and turns for 155 miles before emptying into the Deschutes River …

Alvord Valley, Steens Mountains, 1932
High Desert (essay)

Oregon’s High Desert is a place apart, an inescapable reality of physical geography. The region forms an extensive area that is substantially different in climate, elevation, and hydrology from any other part of Oregon, and it has a distinctive human history.

Geography

The geographic definition of the High Desert is …

Metolius River

The Metolius River is a spring-dominated tributary of the Deschutes River in central Oregon. The river is named for the Warm Springs Sahaptin word for "white fish," which refers to a light-colored Chinook salmon. The river is a sacred place for the Wasco, Warm Springs, and Northern Paiute of the …

Prineville

Prineville, the county seat of Crook County, sits on ceded land once belonging to members of the Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs, displaced by the Treaty of 1855. The town is located on the Crooked River at the mouth of Ochoco Creek in the Crooked River Caldera. It is encircled by prominant …


This entry was last updated on Feb. 27, 2019